One of the sore points in working with Flash Catalyst is the lack of support for importing Fireworks PNGs into FC. Fireworks has long been a workhorse in the prototyping stable, so this “issue” was quite a sore subject for many. So today on the Adobe Flash Platform Blog, Ryan Stewart announced that they have released a script to aid the transfer from Fireworks into Flash Catalyst.
If you’re a Fireworks user you’ll be happy to know that the team has been hard at work improving the FXG export feature so you can more easily take your designs from Fireworks and use them in Flash Catalyst. The new script is available over on Adobe Labs and includes a ton of fixes to the old FXG script as well as some new functionality based on a more finalized FXG specification:
- lineHeight for Text element was always exported as %, now its exported based on value selected in Fireworks ( % or exact)
- Tab indention was not correct for elements which were exported as bitmaps
- Exporting invisible bitmap elements caused script error
- Updated Rectangle primitive object to export transformation matrix and roundness value.
- Modified / Added Application Private Data for all elements (d:userLabel , d:type etc)
- Exporting effects applied on Groups and Symbols
So fear not Fireworks users, Flash Catalyst may not have native file format import for you, but you’ll still be able to use the tool you know and love and bring those designs easily into Flash Catalyst with the “Open from FXG” feature.